2013-02-18

Eye Mechanism

Funny how a little mechanism like this can be difficult to create. It is mainly due to the space where it all has to fit.Although I used small XGD-11HMB servos, they still appear big in there. 
I had done a first mechanism, but every part were just too fragile and flexible. 
So okay, I decided to review it all and turn the bottom servo in another position to get it in there with extra thickness in all the plastic parts.

It is still a bit wobbly.

There is a space for a third servo on the second eye, if one wants to have eyes that wouldn't move simultaneously, Brrr scary freak.

I dismantled the rubber part of my Hercule HD camera and kept only the hard plastic angle which contains the camera. I had previously extracted the microphone and added extra length on the wires, in order to have the microphone in the ears. As you probably have read in some earlier post, sound is a difficult part, which I tend to put further in the future, when I really get extra info. For now a simple bluetooth head set microphone does the trick, between me, the PC and InMoov.

My Hercule HD camera is hot glued on the template support where it belongs on the eye mechanism. On the other template, I could set another camera. But for now, I just did two photocopy papers glued on the mobile template and on the Hercule camera. It isn't fancy, but having only one eye, made him look scary, and I couldn't leave the poor guy like that.

Now, I need to plug that and try to see what happens! 
Isn't that fun!
 
InMoov eye mechanism, inside view
InMoov eye mechanism, inside view
InMoov eye mechanism, side view
InMoov eye mechanism, side view
InMoov eye mechanism, front view
InMoov eye mechanism, front view. You can see here the jaw mechanism. 


17 comments:

  1. Well, those pictures are: 1.Wonderful. 2.Very, very funny, and 3.Scary as hell. Sort of zombie scary... Soon his eyes will follow you, like when you see eyes moving behind a portrait painting in a horror movie...IT'S ALIVE!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Gael,
    now we'll have to add forward & reverse kinematics to handle the complexity of the eye-bones connected to the neck-bones connected to the ... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AhAh yeah, but I guess that is not going to be easy. I'm making the connections wires for to reach the Arduino boards at the moment. I wonder if I could reduce the number of Arduino boards, because with all the coming up servos for the legs, It's going to be buzy. It would be cool if I could set some kind of sub-controllers after the 2 arduino boards. I think I will have about 50 servos for the full body...

      Delete
    2. Gael, Greg and I spoke about this possibility: https://www.adafruit.com/products/815 It uses the I2C networking ability of the Arduino and can be chained with two comm wires over and over. You could use these inexpensive boards at each limb with a centrally mounted Arduino "nervous system"... Chris

      Delete
    3. Cool, that is what I need I think. If I remember Brian had advised me, months ago to work this way, but at the time I didn't understand the "what of what" purpose. I guess if I add two of these (one per leg)to the already set Arduinos it should be enough.

      Delete
    4. Speak with Greg about the extra coding it will need. I believe he said it wouldn't be a problem, but what is easy for him would be impossible for me... I2C is a great way to go though, and you can add all kinds of other sensors that way too. GPS, Temp, and Gyros I believe.

      Delete
    5. woua good song lol inmoov with legs in futur so cool

      Delete
  3. Some time ago the robo-modelling work of this guy really impressed me. He is working for Blur now. Maybe you can join up:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/wilson_arach_pt1/wilson_arach_01.asp
    http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=606#.USNh2_LA2tM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gael, is your Hercules camera the "Twist" model? http://www.hercules.com/us/webcam/bdd/p/179

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, but don't go to buy it now, I'm just reviewing the whole mechanism again. I'm trying to set a space in which we will be able to adapt your camera, mine and maybe other type.

      Delete
    2. OK, I'll keep my eye out for it... ;-)

      Delete
  5. I'll just leave this here:
    http://spectrum.ieee.org/automaton/robotics/industrial-robots/superfast-robotic-camera-mimics-human-eye

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, its been a while since this topic and i wondered if you had any more thoughts/update on the camera types for eyes now, i'm at that point in the construction and wonder whats the best option...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm still using the hercules Camera. Some have been using a PS3 but through ROHS not with MRL. Lately we have been using the tracking point and now we are about to use the face tracking. Also the eyes are going soon to be working with 4 PID. 2 for the head and 2 for the eyes. InMoov service in Myrobotlab is getting a deep restructuration and it add a lot of new stuff.
      Some how any webcam with a good fps is fine for now, as long as you can set it in the mechanism. Remember you certainly will have to dismantle it to adapt it.
      We also are about to try to implement the kinect.

      Delete
  7. Hoi Friends,
    i am just bulding one with my new bought 3d printer.
    After 30 years a dream come true - of course in modern design.
    As i began with Robots in the late 70's they had to look nearly like a simple ton ;-)
    Asimov described some human likes, but without pictures :-)

    So, love this , really

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoi Friends,
    i am just bulding one with my new bought 3d printer.
    After 30 years a dream come true - of course in modern design.
    As i began with Robots in the late 70's they had to look nearly like a simple ton ;-)
    Asimov described some human likes, but without pictures :-)

    So, love this , really

    ReplyDelete